Posted by & filed under Blog.

The government believe that mediation is often a better way of resolving disputes about arrangements for children or finances following relationship breakdown. This does not just apply to the couple concerned but could include other family members such as grandparents.

In order to encourage anyone wanting to apply to the court for an order relating to children or a financial remedy, to first obtain information about family mediation and other alternatives to court, a form called Family Mediation Information and Assessment (MIAM) form-FM1 needs to be completed and given to the court . This form confirms that the person has attended a meeting with an accredited mediator or to provide reasons for not having done so.

On 1 December 2012 the Ministry of Justice published a new version of the Family Mediation Information and Assessment (MIAM) form-FM1.

Comments are closed.